It’s a cat-astrophic episode of Brainstorm Brewery! What crazy idiomatic expressions will threaten to derail the entire cast? What was the meaning of all of Corbin’s cryptic tweets about bad news on the cast last week? Whose pet cat makes his debut on the brewery? Will Ryan ever pick a card that?s in stock for his What’s it Worth selection? Will Marcel successfully fake the gang out when he asks what happened to the price of a card he told everyone to sell on MODO? Find out all this and so much more on the best episode of the cast yet! Join us for Brainstorm Brewery Episode 44.
- The gang discovers that all along people have been commenting on their episodes on MTGCast.com. Could this be the mother lode of entertaining nonsense?
- A listener from the Netherlands asks the gang to go over some of the fundamentals of finance. Hoping to enlighten him as well as new listeners on Gathering Magic (not that everyone couldn’t use a refresher, including the podcasters themselves) they decide to start a weekly journey called “MTG Finance 101”
- Last week the gang talked about some Return to Ravnica cards that were underpriced. Are some of them starting to creep back up?
- “Pick of the Week” highlights some solid cards that are on their way up right now. What should you be trying to get in trades while you still can?
- It was a big weekend with an SCG Open in Indianapolis as well as a GP in Verona and Rio De Janeiro. What were the breakout decks of the weekend and are there any financial opportunities?
- What?s it worth is a raucous affair as usual. Join us as knowledge is tested as well as friendships
Brainstorm Brewery – website – email – twitter – facebook
Ryan Bushard – email – twitter – facebook – gatheringmagic.com
Corbin Hosler – email – twitter – facebook – quitespeculation.com
Jason E Alt – twitter – quitespeculation.com
3 comments on Brainstorm Brewery #44 – Way of the Binder
Great episode! I appreciate you guys doing the Finance 101 stuff. Since i’m not sure where you guys actually read the comments, i’ll copy this into an email, too. And i’ll give you guys good reviews wherever your podcast ends up.
One thing you guys talk about a lot on the show that might be worth covering for the 101 segment is buylisting.
I am definitely one of those players that doesn’t get too any big events. I’ve looked at some online “buylists”, but most of them are tedious. LegitMTG and CardKingdom both use the same store method for their buylist where you have to search or browse for cards. ScamCityGames does use the buylist list method, which is more convenient. Is there any online ones you would recommend or would it be better to trek to an event for this?
I started playing at the beginning and have a collection of about 25,000 cards. I have 2 sons now, so all of my power and powerful have been sold for disposable Christmas presents long ago. I still have some good stuff, but about 20,000 bulk(ish) cards from 4th-present that i would like to turn into profit or better cards. I really would like to get more into the financial side of magic, but my 12-year old and i still play a bit, so we will always be dipping into the collection.
My hope is to maximize the cash i can get for my bulk and use that money to start investing in cards or buying collections. Any advice there? I was thinking of packaging them into groups like 300 green cards or 50 cards from Legends to sell on eBay/craigslist. Any thoughts?
Also, is there a spreadsheet that i could download with every magic card that i could use to inventory my collection? With current prices would be ideal.
A few more topics for the show:
Everyone selling thinks their collection is worth more than it is.
Is it wise to trade an Onslaught fetchland for 2 Zendikar ones if the value is equal?
What are the chances they will reprint the fetchlands?
Will Theros be swimming with merfolk?
Do i recall hearing some drunken rants by Marcel on MtgCast about a year ago or was that a different silky-voiced alcoholic magic player?
Maybe a little more brewing?
Thanks guys! Keep up the great work!
Dear Guys, Thanks for the shout out, it made my night. I think I saw a tear in my little fluffy’s eyes. Or it could have been hot glue I couldn’t tell. Still listening, still fully clothed, and still soaking wet. All the best. Conley Rasor. PS What is Magic the Gathering? I thought this was a podcast about publicly humiliating a human named “Corbin” Thanks Again. – Fluffy
What magic the gathering sets/expansions are legal to use at tournaments?