This week, the guest is Douglas Johnson (@Rose0fthorns). Doug is a finance writer for Brainstorm Brewery‘s content website, penning the wildly popular Conjured Currency series that is nearing its milestone fiftieth iteration. If you haven’t been reading, checking the backlog now and getting caught up is an acceptable use of your time. If you’re enjoying this podcast in audio form during some holiday traveling, you’re not reading the show notes, so I’m not sure why I’m even pretending I can interact with someone whose activities preclude reading this. It’s pretty clear you’re at a computer right now, since you’re reading the show notes, so I will make this very simple for you: His articles are at this link.
When he’s not writing a finance series described by the readers on Reddit as “informative” and “groundbreaking” and “easier to read on the toilet than trying to do a crossword puzzle,” he attends university, partially subsidized by the Gamers Helping Gamers scholarship. It’s true; they even wrote an article about it in the New York Times, a publication Corbin refers to as “The Times”—presumably lingo he picked up in a 400-level journalism class.
Strap in, nerds, because we’re about to take you to value town with a four-financier blitzkrieg of information that will make you so good at Magic finance that you stop playing the game altogether, citing “poor EV.” Learn how to sell collections, what constitutes bulk, and how to apply for a GHG scholarship of your very own on an episode of the best conceivable Magic podcast that will leave you asking, “Did Doug really nail Jason’s pick of the week or was that staged?” This is Brainstorm Brewery.
- Our guest was Douglas Johnson (@Rose0fthorns). Yes, he spelled it out on the episode.
- Finance 101 is all about bulk rares. Yes, it’s new stuff. Don’t worry.
- What’s Doug Johnson all about? No, seriously. Who is this guy?
- Doug made it sound like it’s easy to get on this podcast. It isn’t. He’s special.
- We read so many e-mails. No, it’s the right amount—probably. It’ll be fine; relax.
- Picks of the Week happen, and the guest goes first. Guess whose pick he steals.
- Apply for a scholarship at GamersHelpingGamers.org if you’re eligible.
- There’s a special cameo at the end of the episode.
- Questions? Concerns? E-mail brainstormbrew at gmail dot com.
Cabe Riseau produced the intro and outro music for Brainstorm Brewery.
Brainstorm Brewery – Website – E-mail – Twitter – Facebook
Ryan Bushard – E-mail – Twitter – Facebook
Corbin Hosler – E-mail – Twitter – Facebook – QuietSpeculation
Jason E Alt – E-mail – Twitter – Facebook – QuietSpeculation
Marcel White – E-mail – Twitter – Facebook